There’s nothing quite like traveling! I get to discover new places, find that local groove, experience another way of life, meet new people, try new food, and maybe even surround myself with a new language. It excites me like no other thing does! There’s more than one way to live life in this world and I love experiencing it from someone else’s point of view for a time.
For me, the excitement comes once I get there (as you can see!). The leading up to the trip is a different story. The errands, the packing, the stress of “did I remember everything?”, hoping you don’t hit traffic, security… You get the idea. I don’t really begin to enjoy my trip the until I’m on the plane, soaring through the clouds towards my destination! I have been on my fair share of flights over the years and I wanted to share some tips that have kept me chic and stress free as I pack and travel.
1. Make A List– I cannot even count how many times making a travel list has saved my butt during a trip! I write down EVERYTHING. I naturally enjoy making lists and I find it to be really helpful (just a little OCD over here!). I break things down based on what I need to grab from each room: Bathroom, Bedroom, Closet, Kitchen. Then if there are any specific outfits I need, for example: beach attire, outfit for wedding, night on the town. I also make a list for what I need to grab before I head to the airport because sticking it by the door just never works in my favor. I’m crazy, I know!
2. Pick One Color Story– When traveling, I want my clothing to be as interchangeable as possible. I find that sticking to one color story is most efficient way to do that. By color story I mean picking clothing in the same color family, like black and white, blues, pinks, ect. I usually stick with neutrals, including denim, to make my life easy. Then I pick my accessories accordingly!
3.Wear Your Bulky Items– Try to wear some of the things that will take up a lot of room in your suitcase or add the most weight to it like that leather jacket or pair of boots. Keep in mind that your extra items can also be your cozy layer during your flight! Airplanes are unpredictable places, it could be hot or freezing, so it’s great to have a sweater or scarf that can also be a little blanket.
4. Buy Toiletries at the Airport– This mostly just applies when you’re traveling only with a carry-on bag. Most of the “liquids” I need in my purse combined with my toiletries never all fit in the small plastic bag they require you to use. Save yourself from the stress of it all and bring travel size makeup/beauty items and buy the rest in the airport. Check your purse beforehand, so you don’t accidentally bring six lipsticks that you don’t have room for. They are sticklers in most countries! Trust me.
5. Wear Black On Your Flight– Our clothing accumulates all sorts of things while traveling and the last thing you need is to be stuck with a visible coffee stain or evidence of what you ate at the airport. Dark colors hide a number mishaps, plus you’ll be totally airport chic! Who doesn’t want to feel that way while spending hours traveling?
6. Have An Extra Outfit In Your Carry On– This is mostly if you’re checking luggage and won’t have access to everything. I’ve only ever needed it once in a “emergency” situation on a plane. I just mainly use it if I want to change out of my comfy clothes into something fresh and clean once I land.
7. Bring Comfy Socks– I always love having a pair handy because my feet get really cold on flights. A lot of times, if you’re flying further they’re included in the little bag of goodies they give you, but I pack an extra pair just in case. I love the really fuzzy microfiber kind! I also don’t like having bare feet because airplane carpets are not the cleanest *yuck*.
8. Wear Shoes With Some “Give”– When you are flying for a long period of time your feet are bound to get a little swollen. I’ve learned from my mistakes that it’s smart to wear shoes that stretch or have laces. They are way easier and more comfortable to put back on your feet when it’s time to get off the plane.
9. Put Half The Clothes Away– Just do it!! I’m an overpacker at heart who’s learned to say no during those “I might need this” moments. If I’m unsure about if I’ll want or need it, I usually leave it behind. I can always buy it at my destination if I end up missing it. Plus, a fun bonus of packing light– all the room you have in your luggage for shopping during your trip!!
Matt Jones Design and Photography
I hope that you find these travel tips helpful for your next airport adventure! What are some of your tried and true tips for traveling? I would love to add them the next time I travel.
Leather Jacket: Zara
Shoes: Nike (from DSW)